[DNSOP] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-17: (with COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 18 March 2024 05:58 UTC

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, dnsop@ietf.org, benno@NLnetLabs.nl, swoolf@pir.org, tjw.ietf@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 22:58:00 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-17: (with COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-17: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation/

COMMENT:

Thanks for addressing my DISCUSS and Barry's remaining ARTART review point.

I support Rob Wilton's DISCUSS position.  Piling on a bit, in reference to:

   R6.  UDP requestors SHOULD limit the requestor's maximum UDP payload
   size to the RECOMMENDED size of 1400 or a smaller size.

I think the "RECOMMENDED" here is just carrying forward a "RECOMMENDED" from
someplace else.  If that's correct, I suggest changing it to "recommended" or,
if you want to be more precise, "... to the size recommended by RFCXXXX of 1400
or smaller."  Now it's clear what the SHOULD is referencing, and you don't own
the RECOMMENDED part here.

I suggest defining "EMSGSIZE" in Section 2 to be the UNIX error code of the
same name.  Otherwise, we encounter it in Section 3.1 in a way that could mean
it's an error code (which is how I think you intend it) or as a symbolic name
for the path MTU size.

Forwarded comments from Orie Steele, incoming ART Area Director:

"Recommendations for zone operators and DNS server operators"

* Define "large / small" better.

"Protocol compliance considerations"

* Would be nice to see reporting recommendations, perhaps that make the failure
an internal cost for the failing component?... would not want a repeat of dmarc
though.