[dnsop] dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues: references and doc organization

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Wed, 14 July 2004 13:01 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:04:44 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu
cc: narten@us.ibm.com
Subject: [dnsop] dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues: references and doc organization
Sender: owner-dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu

Hi,

Thomas Narten provided extensive feedbakc on
draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues at IESG evaluation, and I've tried to
address his comments (see the I-D tracker) in:

http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-08pre-diff.html
http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-08pre.txt

but there are still a few where it might be useful to get feedback
from the WG.

The two relatively simpler issues were:

 1. Document organization.  The document is a bit long and a bit "raw"
in some areas.  One way to try to fix that would be trying to separate
some subjects to new I-Ds, just summarize them here, and wait for
their completion.  Such possible subjects could be e.g., the issues
with DDNS (about 5-6 pages), or the TTL/additional data issues.  I'm a
bit hesitant to do that because the overall length would not
decrease.. but if we want to split off something, DDNS would be IMHO
the best candidate..

Thoughts?

 2. References.  Only few were normative (normative ones block the
publication of the document until the normative ones are published),
required for the understanding of the document.

I've increased the number of normative documents to a lot, with still
Internet-drafts being:

   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-ipv6-transport-guidelines]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa]
   [I-D.ietf-ipv6-deprecate-site-local]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-application-transition]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure]

I've kept these as informative due to various reasons -- some of them
are just providing additional information, and some have gotten stuck
in the process and waiting doesn't seem justified.  I've marked with
a star those I-D's which I think would be particularly useful to have
as normative but might take too long to get complete:

   [I-D.durand-v6ops-natpt-dns-alg-issues]
   [I-D.huitema-v6ops-teredo]
   [I-D.huston-6to4-reverse-dns]  *
   [I-D.ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution]
   [I-D.ietf-dhc-fqdn-option]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsext-dhcid-rr]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res]   *
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable]  *
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required]  *
   [I-D.ietf-ipseckey-rr]
   [I-D.ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr]
   [I-D.ietf-send-cga]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-3gpp-analysis]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-mech-v2]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault]
   [I-D.jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery]
   [I-D.moore-6to4-dns]
   [I-D.ohta-preconfigured-dns]
   [I-D.savola-v6ops-6bone-mess]
   [RFC2766] (NAT-PT)
   [RFC2826] (IAB comment on unique DNS root)
   [RFC3704] Ingress Filtering (update)

Thoughts?  Comments?

.
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html