Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-wessels-dns-zone-digest-01.txt

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@isc.org> Thu, 26 July 2018 03:47 UTC

From: Ondřej Surý <ondrej@isc.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 05:47:08 +0200
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
To: "Weinberg, Matt" <mweinberg=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-wessels-dns-zone-digest-01.txt

Hi Matt, and other authors,

with my cryptoplumber[1] hat, I am strongly opposed to using SHA-1 and GOST R 34.11-94 for ZONEMD.

It is my understanding, that the specific usage of hashing function in the DS record improves the collision
resistance of the algorithm, because the input data is so small and it has to be a valid DNSKEY record[2].

For ZONEMD, this isn’t true, as you can (in theory) feed the zone with infinite amount of non-DNSSEC-signed
data (GLUEs, delegations) thus making the collision attack feasible.

Thus I believe, the Section 2.1.2 must be changed to disallow usage of algorithms with weakened collision
resistance (and algorithms deprecated by the Russians themselves :). It wouldn’t be enough just to discourage
SHA-1 for creating the ZONEMD, but it needs to be forbidden to use it for validating such record.
I think that new IANA table for ZONEMD must be established, because the security properties of the algorithm
usage are different in DS and ZONEMD records.

Thanks,
Ondrej

1. I would be happy if any real cryptographer would chime in.

2. It doesn’t have to be valid DNSKEY if you just want to cause ruckus, but if you are able to inject invalid DS
    records, you might as well cause damage at other levels of the DNS tree.

--
Ondřej Surý
ondrej@isc.org