[dnsop] abstract of split-view-03

Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz> Thu, 24 August 2006 15:17 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:40:21 -0400
To: Suresh Krishnaswamy <suresh@tislabs.com>
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Subject: [dnsop] abstract of split-view-03
Cc: IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu>
Sender: owner-dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu

Referring to:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krishnaswamy-dnsop-dnssec-split-view-03.txt

# Abstract
#
#   The security extensions to the Domain Name System (DNSSEC) allow for
#   integrity protection, whereby it is possible to make a determination
#   of the verity of data returned from the Domain Name System in
#   response to a query.  Current operation of the Domain Name System
#   also allows for the creation of multiple views of data, where the
#   answer returned in response to a query is dependent on the origin of
#   the query.  Data integrity and the ability to return possibly
#   conflicting values as in split-views may be construed to be mutually
#   conflicting goals; but this apparent dichotomy is resolvable in
#   practice through careful configuration.  This document provides
#   recommendations for configuring a manageable split-view DNSSEC
#   environment in a representative enterprise network.

(This is just a comment on the abstract.)

View- (I am not sure if that concept is still just a BINDism or is
about to become a DNSism) based results are not just based on the
origin of the query, they can also be based on the key signing the
query (e.g., TSIG).  The more general point is that the response to a
query can be based on more data related to the query than just the
QNAME, QTYPE, and QCLASS contained in the question section.

There should also be a distinction between the concept of views (as
the BINDism) and other answer synthesis approaches.  For example,
answers may be synthesized based on server load or geographical
location of the query source IP address.  Synthesis of this type is
not part of the draft.  It will be important to highlight that "out
of scope" boundary lest there be arguments over whether any
recommendation, etc., in this document will impact answer synthesis.

So, my recommendation is that the abstract states that this document
defines "split-views", both in term and in concept, principally to
distinguish the practice from answer synthesis.  Once there is an
understanding of what it is, the reason that DNSSEC seems to be at
odds with it will appear to have merit.  Looking at the solutions we
will see that DNSSEC is not at odds with the concept of
"split-views."  (Because DNSSEC allows data to be traced back to the
administrator, and it is the administration that is making the split.
All is cool.)

My prediction is that the outcome of this document will be a new
feature in DNS implementations (not the protocol) that will allow one
view of a zone to be unsigned while another is.  Or differently
signed, etc.

BTW, I am neutral on split-view as the name of the practice.  I've
heard split-DNS, split-namespace, split-brain, etc., over the years.
The final document ought to cover these colloquialisms if they are
found to be in the archives (so as not to confuse future generations).

NeuStar

Soccer/Futbol. IPv6.  Both have lots of 1's and 0's and have a hard time
catching on in North America.
.
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html