Re: [DNSOP] draft-dickinson-dnsop-nameserver-control-00

Paul Wouters <paul@xelerance.com> Mon, 27 October 2008 23:57 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:01:23 -0400
From: Paul Wouters <paul@xelerance.com>
To: TS Glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-dickinson-dnsop-nameserver-control-00
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, TS Glassey wrote:

>> I agree. The patent is irrelevant.
>
> Then you personally are assuming all professional liability for this working
> group if you are wrong since you just formally advised everyone on this list
> to ignore the patent's coverage.

It is interesting that you claim such far reaching affects of statements made
on mailinglists, especially seeing that in 2003 you yourself claimed:

 	 know that I am not a lawyer and thus not qualified to advise
 	 prospective implementors about the implications of this court
 	 decision,

You can't have the cake and eat it too Todd.

Bullying Xelerance by phone is not going to make a difference (Google
confirmed the ranting call was made my a phone number associated with a
"Todd Glassley")[*]

> Which further document's why its improper for you Paul to be giving people
> legal advice here.

Indeed. If I were to be giving legal advise, I would surely be charging $600/hour
for that, instead of giving it away on public mailing lists.

> The US Government issued the patent so they and six other
> jurisdictions thought it was OK and there wasn't prior art preventing its
> implementation.

I'm a Dutch citizen working for a Canadian company. There are limits
to what Canadians (who don't do software patents) allow to be jerked
around with by the US. Remember RIM?  I can see a connectioFrom dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Mon Oct 27 16:57:05 2008