Re: [DNSOP] A short note on the DNSOP agenda....

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Thu, 19 March 2015 22:54 UTC

To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:54:08 +1100
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] A short note on the DNSOP agenda....

In message <20150319082207.GA11609@nic.fr>, Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 08:19:16PM +0000,
>  Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 16 lines which said:
>
> > We've been hammering out the agenda, and we've got more requests than we
> > have time. We're focusing on working group items; heavy discussion items on
> > the mailing list; and other specific items we feel need pointing out.  We'll
> > have a draft one out this this weekend.
>
> I did not see a formal announce but, anyway, here it is:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/92/agenda/dnsop/
>
> There is little timing, except for the first two items. I'm concerned
> by the number of "possible new work", specially when compared with the
> existing work (for instance, draft-ietf-dnsop-cookies,
> draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-client-subnet and draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis, all
> important works, seem to have no slot: does it mean everyone is OK as
> they are?)

draft-ietf-dnsop-cookies only really needs discussion about whether
to have the ERROR field or not.  I have tried several times to start
discussion on the list with no response from anyone.  The rest is
more editorial and clarity than protocol.

draft-andrews-dns-no-response-issue is dealing with what happens
when you attempt to deploy EDNS options like DNS COOKIES (and other
EDNS extensions) on all recursive queries.  Been there.  It is not
nice.  Server behaviour is not as clean as it should be and getting
fixes for that underway before DNS COOKIES is deployed is actually
important.  TLD operators can actually help alot here as they have
large lists of servers which can be checked.