Re: [Dots] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dots-requirements-16

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 26 November 2018 07:31 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy" <TirumaleswarReddy_Konda@McAfee.com>, Scott Bradner <sob@sobco.com>, "ops-dir@ietf.org" <ops-dir@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-dots-requirements.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dots-requirements.all@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 07:31:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.6]
Subject: Re: [Dots] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dots-requirements-16

Hi Tiru, all,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] IMHO given that the requirements I-D points to the architecture I-D, we don't need to be redundant:

   The DOTS client may be provided with a list of DOTS servers, each
   associated with one or more IP addresses.  These addresses may or may
   not be of the same address family.  The DOTS client establishes one
   or more sessions by connecting to the provided DOTS server addresses.

But, of course it is not harmful to restate it if it helps the reader.

  If the DOTS
> client considers the signal channel is defunct due to the extended absence of
> DOTS server heartbeat, the DOTS client can establish  a new DOTS signal
> channel with the other DOTS servers in the list.

[Med] Some comments here:
* I would not mix server selection/server migration with server redirection. That is, the proposed text is to be placed somewhere else in the I-D, not under SIG-004.
* I would not describe the behavior (e.g., if xxx, establish a new session) in the Requirements I-D, but focus on the expected functionality if we really need to say something.
* A DOTS client provisioned with multiple dots server may already have other sessions established. How those sessions are established is policy-based.
* Establishing a new session should be carefully considered to avoid, e.g., leaking information among servers not belonging to the same domain or oscillate between servers.

We can include a generic text such as the following:

  "Additional means to enhance the resilience of DOTS protocols, including when multiple DOTS servers are provisioned to the DOTS clients, SHOULD be considered."