RE: client requests ending \012

Edward Hibbert <EH@datcon.co.uk> Wed, 26 July 2000 09:05 UTC

From: Edward Hibbert <EH@datcon.co.uk>
To: drums@cs.utk.edu
Subject: RE: client requests ending \012
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:04:46 +0100

I disapprove of the "must not recognise" text.  I think that:
- existing implementations will ignore this text in the proven interest of
interoperability
- any new implementor who follows the RFC will become very frustrated when
it later emerges that the RFC is explicitly encouraging them to add interop
problems to their code.

There's an analogy in the X.400 world, where the spec is much tighter and
there are people who test implementations for conformance.  Even that
doesn't stop interop problems, and since it is the suppliers of the most
correct implementations who are typically more responsive to fixing problems
than the worse implementations which are violating the spec, the policy of
being liberal in what you accept has emerged there too.

I would agree with Dan that there is no consensus on this point.

Edward Hibbert
DCL.