Re: [dsii] Draft minutes: please review

Andrew Maffei <amaffei@whoi.edu> Mon, 27 August 2012 15:45 UTC

From: Andrew Maffei <amaffei@whoi.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:45:18 -0400
To: Scott Brim <scott.brim@gmail.com>
Cc: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, dsii@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dsii] Draft minutes: please review

On Aug 25, 2012, at 4:12 PM, Scott Brim wrote:

> "Andy Buffet - Woods Hole" -> Maffei
Thanks Scott :)

A minor fix and then clarification of notes on my statement.

> Beth Plale then review the conceptual framework for work in this area, discussing both the framework for
review --> reviewed

>            Andy Buffet - Woods Hole - clearly identified as interop problem, and we have techniques/ approaches for interop.  We can that add into the work that has been going on some time in the sciences.  There is a limited number of pid schemces for  datasets - an api for dataset identifiers, as ezid already has, is useful.  When it becomes domain specific there is lots to be done.
Andy Maffei - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution - clearly identified as an interoperability problem, and IETF has extensive experience/techniques/approaches for how to develop interoperability. IETF can contribute valuable perspective to work that had been going on some time in sciences. Topics for future discussion: recommending limited# of PID schemes for science datasets, agreed-upon API for assigning identifiers for scientific datasets (EZID as a model), defining core non-domain-specific metadata. Agrees that realm of domain-specific metadata there is lots of v hard work that needs to be done (that is probably out-of-scope for IETF). Establishing interoperability frameworks and core metadata for science dataset identification is suggested as in-scope.