Re: [Dtls-iot] Current dtls-iot charter text - discuss...

Bert Greevenbosch <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com> Fri, 14 June 2013 00:49 UTC

From: Bert Greevenbosch <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com>
To: "Kumar, Sandeep" <sandeep.kumar@philips.com>, Don Sturek <d.sturek@att.net>, "Keoh, Sye Loong" <sye.loong.keoh@philips.com>, "paduffy@cisco.com" <paduffy@cisco.com>, "dtls-iot@ietf.org" <dtls-iot@ietf.org>, Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 00:49:16 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.66.162.63]
Subject: Re: [Dtls-iot] Current dtls-iot charter text - discuss...

Hi Sandeep,

-=- Quote -=-
I agree that revocation is an important and often neglected topic. However before we can discuss revocation, we first need the DTLS protocol to be capable of being used for most IoT devices and networks. The  I-D submitted yesterday, draft-keoh-dtls-profile-iot-00.txt provides input to kick off this discussion. Once we have a IoT profiled DTLS protocol, we surely should think more seriously on revocation. The charter should focus to first fulfill this initial aim to make DTLS suitable for constrained environments otherwise we might end up spending lot of energy designing revocation techniques without any relevant protocol that would work within a constrained domain.
-=- /Quote -=-

I think we should not neglect revocation until the first phase is over. It is an important issue, and neglecting it now may cost us dearly in the future. For sound security, authentication and revocation are essential.

Best regards,
Bert