Re: [dtn-interest] Comments on RFC 4838

Caini Carlo <ccaini@arces.unibo.it> Wed, 19 June 2013 09:06 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:06:35 +0200
To: Michael Noisternig <michael.noisternig@cased.de>, dtn-interest@irtf.org
From: Caini Carlo <ccaini@arces.unibo.it>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] Comments on RFC 4838

Dear Michael,
   just a brief comment about late binding. You wrote:
>Late binding is a nice concept, but of course it conflicts with
>routing under mobility where identities do not necessarily represent locations.

I agree with you on the fact that is a nice concept, but not just
this. In my opinion, it is a real feature which does not conflict
with mobility, but actually helps in dealing with mobility.
I will give you this example, taken from my research experience on
DTN and smartphones (Nokia N900 with DTN2 on board).

Phase 1 (sending a bundle to a non existing device)
Suppose that you want to send a bundle to the smartphone of a friend
of you, but you do not know anything about it but its dtn EID (e.g.
dtn://myfriendsmartphone.dtn). Not only are you unaware of the IP
address, but also of the location, of the fact that is switched on or
off, and, in the most extreme case, of the same existence of the
physical device. In spite of all, and thanks to the late binding, you
can send a bundle to the mentioned EID, the DTN networks can route it
until the bundle reaches a gateway where the bundle has to be stored
because there are no routes to destination. Actually, the physical
destination may be non existing at this time.

Phase 2 (delivery a bundle to a device bought after bundle sending)
The following day your friend buys a device, install DTN2 on it,
configure the links in such a way that an ALWAYSON TCP link is
established to the gateway. Then it switches on the device, the TCP
convergence layer automatically establishes a link to the gateway and
informs the gateway about its dtn identity (its EID). The gateway can
now derive the association between the declared EID and the IP of the
sender (late binding is performed here), and as a consequence: a) an
opportunistic link to the smartphone is established; b) a route to
the smartphone EID through this opportunistic link is written.
Finally the bundle that was sent before your friend actually had
bought the device is eventually delivered. Happy end.

This is not science fiction, but what you can do now with the present
DTN2 implementation, to deal with mobility (let me credit Stephen
Farrell for this nice feature). Of course you can do more or less the
same with Dropbox. The difference is that the gateway can be yours.

Frankly speaking, it took me a while (I mean a few years) before
really understanding the potentiality (i.e. the subtle implications)
of "late binding", because of its novelty.  Now I love it. And I hope
you will as well.

Yours,
     Carlo Caini