[dtn-interest] Comments on RFC 4838

Michael Noisternig <michael.noisternig@cased.de> Tue, 18 June 2013 09:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:06:55 +0200
From: Michael Noisternig <michael.noisternig@cased.de>
To: dtn-interest@irtf.org
Subject: [dtn-interest] Comments on RFC 4838

Dear DTNRG members,

in our research group we are currently investigating the use of DTN
functionality for a wireless communication scenario where we expect
classical mobile ad-hoc communication protocols to behave poorly due to
infrequent end-to-end connectivity. As part of this research I have read
up on the documents produced by your working group. By now, I have got
several comments, questions and criticism on these documents that I
would like to share with you. Below I'll start with reviewing RFC 4838
on "a delay-tolerant architecture". I'll review other documents in
subsequent mails.

That said, I realize that you are likely aware of several of the issues
I am bringing up and that you are already discussing better protocol
solutions for DTN networking. I will read up on your mailing list
archives when time permits, but I do want to stress here that a good
architecture document is a prerequisite for a good protocol
specification. In the mean time, I am still hoping for my comments to be
of value to you, and I am looking forward to your kind response.

Kind regards,
Michael

---->8----

Quite frankly, I was a bit disappointed by RFC 4838 because I think the
document promises something different than what it delivers. I had
expected an analysis of the different kinds of network architectures
delay-tolerant protocols might be applicable for, exploring the
difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous networks, the
difference between long delays but possibly relatively stable
intermediate connections vs. short delays but frequent disruptions,
whether networks are fully ad-hoc or have access to an infrastructure
backbone, etc. All these aspects clearly influence the solution space,
including whether an overlay with separate addressing (and routing) is
needed or whether a DTN protocol be directly integrated at L3, whether
interactivity between network nodes is feasible, how (key) management
can be supported, how routing can be supported, etc. What I did find in
the document instead was "a DTN architecture for the bundle overlay
protocol". As such the document already makes the assumption that DTN
networks consist of heterogeneous interconnected networks and that the
bundle overlay protocol is the appropriate solution. However,
homogeneous resource-constrained networks are unlikely to benefit from
the bundle overlay protocol, even when compressed headers (CBHE) are
used and the protocol is directly implemented at L3. As such (and in
part because of the complexity of the bundle security solution), I do
not see ourselves using the bundle protocol "as is" for our envisaged
application scenario. I will comment more on the bundle protocol
specification in a subsequent mail. Following are some section-specific
comments on RFC 4838.

3.2 and 3.3:
What wasn't really clear to me in both RFC 4838 and 5050 was the whole
node-to-EID registration process. A node registers to an EID, and an
application somehow gets associated/registered with a node (via some
socket API?). (So there seem to be two separate registration processes.)
Then if all applications connect to the same node (e.g., a daemon) how
do the applications get multiplexed on the channel? Or is there a 1-1
relationship between applications and nodes? If an application selects
the EID to register to how can we assure a unique "singleton" EID for
each node? How do these EIDs get registered within the network?

3.3.1:
I have some comments on the use of URIs; I'll postpone these to my
review of RFC 5050.

3.3.2:
Late binding is a nice concept, but of course it conflicts with routing
under mobility where identities do not necessarily represent locations.
How is this issue going to be resolved? I'm not sure leaving this as an
implementation matter is the appropriate "solution".

Related to this, can (or how can) DTN nodes from different networks
(with different schemes) register to the same EID?

3.6.2:
"Administrative records are sent as bundles with a source EID
    set to one of the EIDs associated with the DTN node generating the
    administrative record."
So, a node can be registered with multiple EIDs, and multiple nodes can
register with a particular EID. Then how are we supposed to find out who
is the actual source of the administrative record? Why not require the
source EID be set to the EID of the endpoint that uniquely identifies
the DTN node (the "singleton" endpoint)?

Bundle Delivery: So my understanding is that whereas this administrative
record is only being sent for complete ADUs rather than individual
bundles, if a source wishes to receive acknowledgments for individual
bundles it should request for Bundle Reception messages to be sent by
DTN nodes? And what is to do when bundle fragments (erroneously) contain
conflicting report-to-EIDs? (This question actually better applies to
RFC 5050.)

3.10, 6th paragraph:
Custody Transfer Accepted Signal: This should be "Custody Signal"
according to RFC 5050.