Re: [dtn-interest] Decisions, decisions...

Scott Burleigh <Scott.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov> Tue, 28 December 2004 18:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:21:20 -0800
To: Jeffrey Elkner <jeff@elkner.net>
From: Scott Burleigh <Scott.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] Decisions, decisions...
Cc: DTN <dtn-interest@mailman.dtnrg.org>, Colin Applegate <colin.a@gmail.com>, Daniel Caughran <dfcaughran@comcast.net>, Paul Flint <flint@flint.com>, Eric Howard <ehoward@fissg.com>
Sender: dtn-interest-admin@mailman.dtnrg.org

At 11:08 AM 12/28/2004 -0500, Jeffrey Elkner wrote:
>Hello again, Scott,
>
>I'm sorry to be pestering you again, but we need to figure out what to
>do to move this project forward.  Here is the situation:
>
>- they are supposed to hand in data on the day we return from winter
>break (January 3rd).
>
>- Colin is able to get version 1 of the DTN software running (see
>http://linus.yhspatriot.net/cs/at/students/Applegate_Colin/DTNSetup),
>but version 2 does not work (see Colin's email below).
>
>I had suggested to them that doing the experiment with the current
>version of the software would be more useful to the project (though I
>would be grateful for your thoughts on that), but they can't get it to
>work.
>
>Do you think we should push ahead trying to get the version 2 software
>working, or would it make more sense to run the experiment with the
>older version?

Hi, Jeffrey.  I just passed on to Colin a tip on the version 2 software
that may enable you to work with that version (per Bob Durst: "the first
time you run the daemon, you must run it with the "tidy" (-t) flag to
ensure that the persistent state is clean and tidy").  If this does the
trick, great!

If not, and given your very tight deadline, I would say to go ahead with
DTN1.  The same architectural principles are being explored either way, and
I think that's really what matters for this project.

Scott