Re: [dtn-interest] FW: [IRSG] POLL: draft-irtf-dtnrg-arch-07 -- DUE30 Oct

Scott Burleigh <Scott.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov> Fri, 10 November 2006 16:15 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:15:32 -0800
From: Scott Burleigh <Scott.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: dtn-interest@mailman.dtnrg.org
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] FW: [IRSG] POLL: draft-irtf-dtnrg-arch-07 -- DUE30 Oct
Sender: dtn-interest-admin@mailman.dtnrg.org

Henderson, Thomas R wrote:
> [...]
More precisely, the endpoint ID identifies an endpoint, which is a set
of zero or more DTN nodes.  The term "region" has been pretty strongly
deprecated over the last year or so.
> In Nimrod,
> a node denotes a "region"; a set of endpoints.  Nimrod EIDs do not span
> multiple endpoints.  Maybe this might be clarified somehow.  It might be
> worth a read of RFC1992 and describing the similarities and differences.

I agree.
>>> It is not clear whether ADUs or bundles are passed to the DTN stack
>>> across the service access point (SAP).  In 3.1 and 3.3.1, it says that applications send ADUs, but in other places, it describes bundles being the unit of data passed.  But it says in 3.1 that ADUs may be fragmented into bundles; who does this fragmentation?
>>>
>> It's only ADUs that are passed across the service access
>> point, and only ADUs are fragmented.  This may be a little
>> more explicit in the Bundle Protocol spec.
> OK, I think what confused me in this document is in 3.6.1, the definition of
> delivery options, where it appears that applications are seeing the results
> of bundle operations in the DTN (but they are passing ADUs and not bundles);
> e.g.:
>
>    "- Report When Bundle Received - requests a Bundle Reception Status
>       Report be generated when the subject bundle arrives at a DTN node.
> "
>
> All of these services are defined in terms of bundles, while the
> applications are supposed to be dealing with ADUs.

Good point.  What is tricky here,  which I think justifies this
language, is that the application that sees these results is -- in a
sense -- DTN itself.  Management of bundle traffic is the application,
so exposing bundles to the application is unavoidable.  It's analogous
to exposing IP packet activity to ICMP, I think.

Scott