Re: [dtn-security] hop-by-hop authentication

"Scott, Keith L." <kscott@mitre.org> Fri, 04 February 2011 13:23 UTC

From: "Scott, Keith L." <kscott@mitre.org>
To: Shoaib Malik <shoaibmalik1981@gmail.com>, "dtn-security@maillists.intel-research.net" <dtn-security@maillists.intel-research.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 08:23:25 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "dtn-interest@maillists.intel-research.net" <dtn-interest@maillists.intel-research.net>
Subject: Re: [dtn-security] hop-by-hop authentication

The hop-by-hop authentication is designed to keep 'bogus' traffic out of the
network by providing a mechanism to prevent un-authenticated sources from
injecting it.  Hop-by-hop security assumes that the appropriate keys and
policy are in the network.  You're right in that *if* a malicious node can
forge a signature for a bundle and inject it into the network, then after
the first hop there's nothing in the BAB machinery to restrict that bundle's
movement (though other security policies that use non-single-hop mechanisms
like the payload security block might be in place).

The notion was that some networks may have very constrained, expensive, or
critical links and that it would be desirable to deter someone who could
connect to the network from being able to inject traffic that would cross
those links, consuming resources.  End-to-end security like IPSec doesn't do
this, e.g., because the traffic isn't thrown away until the destination
(after it's consumed resources on the critical link(s)).

                                --keith