[dtn-security] Bundle Security Protocol details

"Symington, Susan F." <susan@mitre.org> Thu, 16 November 2006 20:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:33:45 -0500
From: "Symington, Susan F." <susan@mitre.org>
To: Peter Lovell <peter.lovell@sparta.com>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: hsw <hsw@sparta.com>, dtn-security@mailman.dtnrg.org
Subject: [dtn-security] Bundle Security Protocol details
Sender: dtn-security-admin@mailman.dtnrg.org

Stephen, Peter, and Howie:

I am in the process of making the changes to the Bundle Security
Protocol based on the comments that BBN had in their requirements
document and also on the suggestion below by Peter Lovell.

In actually making the edits with regard to Peter's suggestion (below),
I was forced to look at this more carefully and in so doing I realized
that my understanding of the spec seems to differ a little from the
assertions made in Peter's suggestion, so I would like to get a few
details clarified and make sure we all agree on the following:

1. The notes on canonicalization say that the security result is to be
omitted. These notes do not say (or mean to imply) that the security
result length field is to be omitted. In fact, the security result
length field and its value is to be included in the calculation of the
BAB security result. We want the BAB security result to be calculated
over the entire bundle exactly as it appears, with all its fields and
their values except for the security result field.

2. The new "security result offset" field that is being suggested
should indicte the offset of the start of the security result field
(not of the security result length field).

3. We should add an additional canonicalization note to say that the
new security result offset field (like the "res" bit of the ciphersuite
ID) is part of the canonical form. In other words, when the BAB is
calculated on the bundle, the res field will have a value of 1 and the
security result offset field will have its correct offset value.

4. Similarly, the value of the block data length field should be the
length of the entire bundle, including the security result field. It
should not change to subtract the length of the security result field
when we calculate the security result, even though we won't calculate
the security result over the security result field.

In summary, we don't want to change the values of any fields of the
bundle. We want the security result calculated over all the fields as
they are, with the one exception that the security result field is
omitted.

Do we all agree on this?

-susan

Susan Symington