Re: [dtn] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-dtn-tcpclv4-18: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Tue, 17 November 2020 01:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 17:10:09 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "R. Atkinson" <rja.lists@gmail.com>
Cc: DTN WG <dtn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dtn] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-dtn-tcpclv4-18: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Ran,

In short: I agree with what you write.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:42:31AM -0400, R. Atkinson wrote:

> > On Oct 26, 2020, at 23:49, Brian Sipos <BSipos@rkf-eng.com> wrote:
>
> > It's also inconsistent with a desire
> > to make TLS support mandatory to implement (but not mandatory to use),
> > since mandatory to implement implies mandatory to be "capable of
> > exchanging messages with TLS", thus mandatory to use.
>
> The quote above is a confusion, I think.
>
> Please bear with me while I try to explain why that claim about “mandatory
> to use" is only a confusion, not what “mandatory to implement” actually means.
>
> The key distinction is that “mandatory to implement” means something must
> be fully implemented and supported in the code (or logic if one were to have a
> a Verilog implementation), but it does NOT mean that it have a default run-time
> configuration of “security is enabled”.

Exactly.  I am (I think) complaining about the specific connotations of the
words used in the description of setting CAN_TLS, and am not trying to say
that the code always will have a default run-time configuration of
"security is enabled".

Specifically, the -23 has:

   If an entity is capable of exchanging messages according to TLS 1.3
   [RFC8446] or any successors which are compatible with that TLS
   ClientHello, the the CAN_TLS flag within its Contact Header SHALL be
   set to 1.  [...]

If we say that TLS support is "mandatory to implement" (do we?  I couldn't
find such text in a quick search, but thought we had talked about it), it
would require some very convoluted reasoning to come up with a scenario
where an entity is "not capable of exchanging messages according to TLS
1.3" -- it would be right in the spec that your implementation needs to
have the capability to do so!  Yes, we could come up with some explanation
about local policy clamping the implementation's capabilities, but it seems
like it would be simpler to use a slightly different wording here, like "if
the entity is configured to enable exchanging messages according to TLS
1.3" that does not set up an apparent conflict between "capable" and
"implements".

Thanks,

Ben