[dtn] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update-09

Russ Housley via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 01 February 2024 22:18 UTC

From: Russ Housley via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update.all@ietf.org, dtn@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 14:18:26 -0800
Subject: [dtn] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update-09

Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review result: Not Ready

by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update-09
Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review Date: 2024-02-01
IETF LC End Date: 2024-02-12
IESG Telechat date: unknown

Major Concerns:

RFC 7116 is an Informational RFC, and this document, if approved, will
be published an an RFC on the standards track.  It is very unusual for
a standards-track RFC to update an Informational RFC.  I suggest that
this document and a companion document ought to obsolete RFC 7116, where
the companion document separately handles all of the non-ipn topics in
RFC 7116.  The companion document can be an informational RFC.

Minor Concerns:

Section 3.4.3: Since these "private use" node numbers all have zero assigned
the Allocator Identifier, not one can tell where the administrative domain
boundaries are located.  This needs to be discussed in the Security
Considerations, and this section should point to that new text.  That said,
the discussion in Section 5.5 is probably fine.  A node that is at the edge
of an administrative domain needs to be configured to not let "private use"
node numbers exit the domain.

Section 9.1: I envision the example range being used in a manner similar
to the use of Autonomous System (AS) Numbers 64496 through 64511, which
are reserved for use in documentation and sample code.  Please expand
the explanation to include sample code.  Likewise for the example range
in Section 9.3.

Section 9.2: I am not sure that the last row of Table 4 is needed.  At
the front of the section, say that the valid range is 0 to 2^32-1.

Appendix A: It would take less space in this document to define DIGIT
than to explain where to find the definition.  Adding "DIGIT = %x30-39"
make the ABNF complete.

Nits:

Abstract: s/These updates update and clarify/These updates clarify/

Section 3.4.2: s/ipn URIs of this form are termed "LocalNode ipn URIs"/
                /This form of ipn URI is termed a "LocalNode ipn URI"/

Section 5: s/The IRTF standardisation of the experimental BPv6/
            /The IRTF BPv6 experimental specification/
            (The IRTF does not publish standards.)

Section 5.5: s/they MUST NOT/
              /"private use" node numbers associated with Default Allocator MUST NOT/

Section 7.2: s/where-by/whereby/

Section 7.2: s/hop by hop/hop-by-hop/