Re: [e2md] E2MD and Indirection -- a new problem statement

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Sat, 15 May 2010 05:33 UTC

Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 00:29:07 -0500
From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
To: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
Cc: 'IETF ENUM list' <enum@ietf.org>, "'E.164 To MetaData BOF discussion list'" <e2md@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [e2md] E2MD and Indirection -- a new problem statement

Richard Shockey wrote:
> DNS technology Dean !!! ..stop this "It's the DNS" thing.  Its not about the
> DNS it never was. You are perpetuating the problem once again.

Dude! Slow down and get this through your head: As far as the "rest of
the IETF" is concerned, ENUM is about putting phone numbers in the DNS,
and as long as ENUM relies on the core protocol of the DNS, any
extension to ENUM is an extension to the DNS.

Failure to understand this very fundamental concept is why we don't
understand the objections that Olaf and Peter and John and Jon and other
DNS people keep bringing up. And it's why "just restarting the ENUM
working group" will not solve the E2MD problem: the same people that are
objecting to E2MD as a standalone working group will object to
restarting ENUM. This is also why the CNAM draft that "had consensus in
ENUM" did NOT advance through the IETF and is not currently "a
standard." If the approach was ever going to fly, it would have migrated
south for the winter years ago!

Either solve the problem in a way that is acceptable to "the DNS people"
 by using the DNS consistently with their guidelines, or move the
problem outside the DNS. Trying to shove it down their throats is just
going to perpetuate further non-progress.

--
Dean