Re: [e2md] Doodle poll: Next Conf-Call on Requirements

Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Tue, 18 May 2010 22:52 UTC

From: Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 23:52:17 +0100
To: Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>
Cc: "E.164 To MetaData BOF discussion list" <e2md@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [e2md] Doodle poll: Next Conf-Call on Requirements

Hi Bernie,  folks,
 I am slightly confused. The Dean & Rich show does that :)p

This looks rather like a Bait 'n' Switch deal.

AFAICT, there is an idea to revive the ENUM WG and to work on
*some* of the items in that. I agree++ with that -- ENUM Vivax!
In fact, on list everyone has agreed with that and our friendly
channeled demons don't seem to have raised a complaint yet :).

For ENUM (as opposed to any other WG) ...
First Step:
I'd guess that revival could work on Send-N and Unused.
[Assuming we can roll back some of the more arcane restrictions
in section 1.2 of rfc3761bis and the bit moved into the second
paragraph of the intro of section 2].
These **should** be short term work items.

Even CNAM and SPID could be done in the existing ENUM WG as well,
I suspect. Heck -- we have number portability already, so why not?

Second step:
In the past the IESG appear to have resisted URIs that do not act as
"direct" session initiators to Internet services.
I remember the protracted pain of pushing against that resistance (that
initially included use of telephone numbers, video telephony service,
and even SMS §-/

So ... ISTM that it might be useful to re-charter ENUM to extend its
remit to either unwind these alleged but unwritten rules (or write
them in stone so at last we know what the limits ARE).

-----

SO ... what is the other stuff that you are asking for requirements,
and some seem to be thinking of other RR types, use of other protocols,
indirection, ... ?

It sure isn't ENUM. I seem to have lost track. Clarification required.

all the best,
  Lawrence