Re: [EAT] Scope, Goals & Background for RATS

Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com> Fri, 21 September 2018 17:01 UTC

From: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 10:01:34 -0700
Cc: "rats@ietf.org" <rats@ietf.org>, "eat@ietf.org" <eat@ietf.org>
To: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>
Subject: Re: [EAT] Scope, Goals & Background for RATS

RATS folks: Henk, Ned, Monty and Eric,

EAT has deployment scenarios and goals that are distinct from RATS. They don’t need new protocols in the same way as that RATS does. They will not be rooted in TCG and TPM work. There is precedence in the industry for these use as can be seen in FIDO and Android Keystore Attestation. EAT can not just be a subordinate part of RATS as you seem to imply below.

Even if our deployment goals and use cases are not the same, I would think we can have separate documents where we need to and do the work in one WG.

I think it would be bad to have two attestation working groups in the IETF, one for EAT and one for RATS.  Thus, I think the charter of this WG must explicitly include the EAT use cases and goals.

LL