Re: [Ecrit] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kim-ecrit-text-00]

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 25 November 2009 12:44 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:44:18 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: ecrit <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kim-ecrit-text-00]

SMS to IM interworking has two mechanisms, full interworking (3GPP TS 24.341), and encapsulation of the SMS in an IM (3GPP TS 29.311).

That makes 4 scenarios:

1)	SMS user communicating to IM connected PSAP using interworking. The SMS has no mechanisms of ensuring that it is always delivered to the same interworking gateway and therefore no pseudo session can be created in the IM. At the moment it would also not be possible to tie location services to a particular short message.

2)	SMS user communicating to IM connected PSAP using encapsulation. Similar considerations to 1 apply.

3)	IM user connected to PSAP using SMS via interworking gateway. If the IMS user uses the mechanism in the document, presumably it will reach the short message gateway, but the gateway has no means of ensuring these are all delivered to the same SMS endpoint except the value that appears in the request-URI.

4)	IM user sending SMS encapsulated in IM message via gateway. Similar issues to 3).

regards

Keith