Re: [Ecrit] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kim-ecrit-text-00]

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 25 November 2009 12:44 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Jong Yul Kim <jk2520@columbia.edu>, Wonsang Song <wonsang@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:44:18 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ecrit@ietf.org" <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kim-ecrit-text-00]

In the UK automatic alarm systems and other telemetry type systems are not emergency calls. I assume that applies in many countries.

The only data type system I know of which are treated as emergency calls are the eCALL mechanisms being now introduced into vehicles, whereby if sensors in the car activate in response to say an accident, then the car automatically makes an emergency call. This emergency call is essentially a standard cellphone emergency call with some additional marking, and is made as a modem data call. SMS is NOT used.

In regard to SMS, it was designed as a store and forward service, with the delivery optimised to delivery over mobile phones with constraints caused by that. Asking if there is a technical problem with use for emergency calls, well the answer is something like asking if I can use the postal service for emergency calls. The service would have to be respecified, and then deployed in that new specification.

regards

Keith