Re: [Ecrit] LoST Questions/Comments - civic hierarchy

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Thu, 13 August 2009 23:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:01:18 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Avery Penniston <apenniston@geo-comm.com>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, ecrit@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] LoST Questions/Comments - civic hierarchy

> Martin, I think what you are saying is that if two civic locations do
> not match exactly (both the elements provided, and the blank elements)
> then, currently, LoST should consider them not equal.  But should LoST
> try to determine if one location 'fits' inside another?  For example a
> resolver wants to check if a location is found within one of its cached
> mapping service boundaries.

Without the need for interoperable exchange formats, an implementation of a LoST server could have additional information that says that one civic address is entirely contained within another.  This information would not necessarily be able to be represented in the synchronization protocol.

>  If the request location is something like:
>           <country>DE</country>
>           <A1>Bavaria</A1>
>           <A3>Munich</A3>
>           <A6>Otto-Hahn-Ring</A6>
>           <HNO>6</HNO>
>           <PC>81675</PC>
>
> Should it attempt to match it with a cached mapping that has a boundary
> like this?:
>           <country>DE</country>
>           <PC>81675</PC>
>
> Without having some type of definition that describes how the different
> CAType elements relate to one another spatially, location matching
> could be quite an expensive task on the server.

Yes, I would imagine that this location is considered to be "within" the specified boundary "address".  The boundary effectively states that any location with the same country and postal code is within the boundary.

The consumer of a LoST boundary (client, or caching server) has a very simple algorithm to follow.  For each specified element in the boundary "address", compare for equality.  If a boundary-specified element is either not equal or absent in the request address, the address is outside the boundary.  Additional elements in the request address that were not specified in the boundary address can only be considered to be unimportant.

Worst case, which is always available, is that the LoST server maintains an exhaustive list of civic addresses that are within the boundary.  Obviously, there might be certain simplifications that could be made (such as ignoring interior elements).

These things will vary, depending on the needs of the specific LoST application.  In Australia and many other countries emergency services are centralized.  Therefore, a LoST server that serves those countries is able to correctly determine a route for emergency services based on the <country> tag alone.  In the US, things are much more complicated and the LoST server therefore needs much more extensive information.

Two important considerations:

 1)  It is not possible to indicate that a certain element MUST be absent when expressing a boundary.  This is a failing of the system, and one that might need to be addressed.

   Deployment experience might show that this is not necessary, but I've seen evidence enough that civic addresses are capable of producing just about any corner case imaginable.

 2)  Any single boundary "address" is not necessarily complete on its own.  A complete boundary specification might require the union of multiple such boundaries.  In some cases, this can get extremely complicated.

  To give an example of this, imagine the case where a road is used as a dividing line.  If, as is common in many places, odd numbered houses are on one side of the road and even on the other, the boundary specification for either region cannot simply indicate the road, it must specify each house number individually.  That's quite costly, but the only choice available, given the specification (or, as I noted previously, absence thereof).

Cheers,
Martin

> Avery

this email is prohibited.