Re: [Ecrit] LoST Questions/Comments - civic hierarchy

"Avery Penniston" <apenniston@geo-comm.com> Thu, 13 August 2009 21:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:09:26 -0500
From: Avery Penniston <apenniston@geo-comm.com>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, ecrit@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] LoST Questions/Comments - civic hierarchy

James, thanks for the info on the work going on in Geopriv.  I'm interested to see how that discussion shakes out.  Specifically on how abbreviations/alternate spellings should be handled, how elements other than A elements get defined for super/sub sets,  and how to compare optional elements when left blank in one location, but supplied in another.  Perhaps the questions I have about civic location comparison belong in the Geopriv WG.

Martin, I think what you are saying is that if two civic locations do not match exactly (both the elements provided, and the blank elements) then, currently, LoST should consider them not equal.  But should LoST try to determine if one location 'fits' inside another?  For example a resolver wants to check if a location is found within one of its cached mapping service boundaries.

 If the request location is something like:
          <country>DE</country>
          <A1>Bavaria</A1>
          <A3>Munich</A3>
          <A6>Otto-Hahn-Ring</A6>
          <HNO>6</HNO>
          <PC>81675</PC>

Should it attempt to match it with a cached mapping that has a boundary like this?:
          <country>DE</country>
          <PC>81675</PC>

Without having some type of definition that describes how the different CAType elements relate to one another spatially, location matching could be quite an expensive task on the server.

Avery