Re: [Ecrit] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location-17

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@coretechnologyconsulting.com> Mon, 31 January 2022 22:59 UTC

From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@coretechnologyconsulting.com>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location.all@ietf.org, ecrit@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 14:59:12 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location-17

(1) I'm fine with the Abstract as it is, I don't think it needs to be
shortened, but if Russ' suggestion is taken, I'd want his new text "This
extension is applicable when the location information in the
<findService> request uses the Basic Civic profile as described in RFC
5222" deleted, as the extension can potentially be used with future
profiles.

(2) Regarding the suggestion to either delete the final paragraph of
Section 1 or expand it to list all the sections, an alternative is to
edit it down to list only what's most useful to a reader, e.g., change:

    The structure of this document includes terminology, Section 2,
    followed by a discussion of the basic elements involved in location
    validation.  The use of these elements, by way of example, is
    discussed in an overview section, Section 3, with accompanying
    rationale, and a brief discussion of the impacts to LoST, and its
    current schema.

To something such as:

    A discussion of the basic elements involved in location
    validation, along with definitions of certain terms used in this
    document, is in Section 2.  Usage, with examples, accompanying
    rationale, and a brief discussion of the impacts to LoST and its
    current schema, is in Section 3.

(3) Regarding the MUST NOT text in Section 3, I'm fine with Dan's
suggestions, but if we are rewording it, I suggest:

    The location profile of Location Information returned by a server
    MUST be the same as the profile of the location used to answer
    the query. By extension, this means that the profile of Location
    Information returned by a server MUST be a location profile used
    by the client in the request.

(4) Regarding the suggestion to add a definition of Valid Location, the
document currently defines it; perhaps the suggestion is to define a new
term such as "Valid Location Response" or "Valid Location Indication"?
At any rate, since the document already defines Valid Location, we can
just delete the explanatory:

    i.e.,
    containing the <locationValidation> element with no elements listed
    as invalid,

This also aligns with Dan's suggested rewording. I'm also fine with
leaving the text as is.

--Randall