Re: [Ecrit] PSAP Call Backs

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Sat, 03 January 2009 14:15 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: "'James M. Polk'" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "'Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)'" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, 'ECRIT' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 09:15:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] PSAP Call Backs
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

Couple of thoughts here:

In the past several months, I have been involved with a couple of instances
where call backs turned out to be very difficult because they are not marked
(in the PSTN).  Gunnar cited one:

A relay provider handles an emergency call.  The PSAP calls the deaf caller
back.  Relay providers often have a queue of calls waiting for an available
interpreter.  US regulation now (as of last week) says emergency calls and
call backs should get priority on the queue.  How does the relay provider
know that an incoming call is a call back?

Another one is a telephony service with incoming call restrictions.  An
example is a phone for a child where the parent controls who can call the
child.  The child makes an emergency call.  A callback is needed.  The call
restrictions would bar the call unless it was known that it was an emergency
call.

Besides marking, there needs to be some other phonebcp-like text.  For
example, a callback should not normally be diverted (call forwarding).  T
may (needs some discussion) need to get through if do not disturb is enabled
(for example, inadvertently).

As with incoming calls, some minimum standards are needed on the signaling.

I also want to point out that resource priority marking is NOT a good choice
for an overall callback mark, the same way that the Route header sos urn is
not a good choice for a resource priority mark.

Brian