[Ecrit] Resolving open issue in planned-changes

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Thu, 03 February 2022 00:14 UTC

From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
To: ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 16:13:57 -0800
Subject: [Ecrit] Resolving open issue in planned-changes

Regarding the planned-changes draft, notification vs polling is the
primary open issue. The other issues that have been discussed are
secondary and are different depending on which mechanism is selected.

As the next step in measuring consensus, the chairs want to identify
technical objections to either mechanism. An important part of reaching
consensus is making sure that all technical objections have been given
appropriate consideration. Below is a summary of the objections that
I've identified from the email list and the Doodle poll. If I've missed
anything or left out anything crucial, please let me know.

---
**Doodle poll:**

- Technical objection to polling: Gunnar, Guy
- Technical objection to notification: Dan Banks

**Dan:**
    Asking a LoST server to store information in response to a query
creates an undue burden and presents multiple opportunities for abuse.
It is also impractical for a LoST server to make the necessary
determinations to support notifications.

**Gunnar:**
    Polling for rare events causes waste of resources. Planned-changes
are expected to be rare per location.

---
**Email:**

**Objections to notification:**