Re: [Ecrit] LoST

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 11 July 2007 09:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:32:30 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] LoST
Cc: ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>

Hi Martin,

Dawson, Martin wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> This seems a bit bogged down in the here and now... A LIS for almost any
> access technology, with or without GPS, could produce a geo-shape as a
> consequence of the location-determination technique it employs. What
> 3GPP may be thinking now doesn't seem particularly pertinent.

True. A LCS (this is the correct terminology now) can indeed produce a
PIDF-LO with the Geo-Shapes format.

When you use a GPS receiver today (and probably for a long time) then it
does not produce a format in XML format since there is just no LCP
involved.

> There's already a pdif-lo-profile draft ([sic] is the spelling ever
> going to get corrected btw or is a title immutable?) that states what
> shapes should be used and defines what the LIS clients can expect to
> receive.

We decided not to change the file name. When the document gets published
as RFC then the filename does not matter anway.
Btw, we recognized the wrong spelling with version -04 or so.

> While I accept that a LoST implementor could add support for that
> profile, as long as it is optional to do so, the client cannot be sure
> that anything other than a point will be supported.
A new document can also say that the new location profile is mandatory
to implement. Do you think that will be a problem?

>  This adds the dual
> issue of making the client always convert to a point form and/or
> eliminating the prospect of LoST servers being able to do more
> sophisticated routing based on weighted coverage by uncertainty.
>
> Rather than invite the compatibility issue at a later date, wouldn't it
> be more prudent just to add the requirement now?

No doubt that we could add an additional location profile right now.

I am just repeating what we agreed earlier in the working group on this
particular issue. If the working group now thinks that this is a problem
then we should re-consider it. I just want to open-up previously closed
or postponed issues too quickly.

Ciao
Hannes