Re: [Emailcore] Time to deprecate multiple-address From

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 15 February 2024 04:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:30:01 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Douglas Foster <dougfoster.emailstandards@gmail.com>, emailcore@ietf.org
cc: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superuser@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Emailcore] Time to deprecate multiple-address From

Doug,

(top post)

I had promised myself to not respond to anything more or to
further touch 5321bis until after we hear from the WG Chairs,
but I want to note, after reading your note below and Steffen's
follow-up to it, that it appears to me that there is a really
simple solution to the problem you are talking about.  That is
to adjust DMARC (which, as you point out, has an at least
nominally active WG) so that it says that, if multiple mailboxes
appear in the "From:" header field, only the first is used for
authentication purposes.  If you need to say more, it would be
that _for DMARC authentication purposes_ any mailboxes after the
first should be treated as if they appeared in "Cc:" header
fields.  That would completely avoid trying to treat the
additional listed "From:" authors as if they need to be
authenticated, much less how they are associated with any sort
of message signature.  It also completely avoids the layering
problem Murray described because it is not changing the syntax,
only assigning some extra semantics to the first listed address
and doing so only narrowly and only for DMARC purposes.

As several of us have pointed out, you had better also look at
"Sender:" if it is specified, noting that it can only specify
one mailbox.

That solves the problem as you have described it (even though
you have asserted the need to authenticate all authors listed in
"From:", you have given no reason for that, at least any that I
can understand, much less any indication of how it might work).
It requires no change to rfc5322bis and certainly not reopening
it.

If someone can identify a reason for it, it would seem to me to
be quite reasonable to put a sentence into the A/S advising
implementations that are passing message along to avoid
reordering the mailboxes in a multiple-mailbox "From:" header
(and maybe headers in forward pointing header fields as well)
but I'm having trouble figuring out where that might be an issue
if implementations conform to rules we already have in place.

Finally, do keep in mind that, while, as you pointed out,
EMAILCORE and DMARC (and maybe other groups that might be
relevant) are all open, EMAILCORE faces a very significant
restriction relative to the others.  This WG's main mission is
to move a pair of specifications for very long-established
protocols -- protocols for which there are prior specifications
and decades of very broad adoption and experience (whether one
counts contemporary implementations by organizations who appear
to think that they are important enough to not have to follow
standards or not) into Internet Standards.  The requirements on
the WG for documents that are intended to be published as
Internet Standards are fairly tough.  In particular, a change
that makes implementations that were valid and conforming under
RFCs 5322 and 5321 non-conforming to the new versions would
generally be forbidden (that is consistent with Murray's comment
about scope which arrived after this note was nearly finished).

best,
   john

p.s. Murray, thanks for stepping in on this.  I hope your doing
so will save us some time.

--On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 19:52 -0500 Douglas Foster