Re: [eman] Entity identification method

"Chris Verges" <chrisv@cyberswitching.com> Wed, 03 November 2010 03:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 20:30:23 -0700
From: Chris Verges <chrisv@cyberswitching.com>
To: Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@nteczone.com>
Cc: eman@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [eman] Entity identification method

Hi Christian et al.,

How about the following two use cases to augment the existing
power-allocation-per-virtual-machine scenario?

	1. "Grouped" outlets on a smart PDU

	2. Tenant submetering on a smart meter

In the first scenario, several smart PDUs allow the user to create a
user-defined grouping that consists of several outlets.  Physical
outlets 1 and 7, for example, could be grouped together as logical
entity "server01".  This mapping could be created using the existing
ENTITY-MIB architecture.  The power data for both the physical and
logical entities are useful to facilities and IT managers to understand
power flow and usage.

In the second scenario, a smart meter provides submetering for a
commercial rental building.  Such buildings often occur turnover in
tenants.  A submeter that meters each circuit in the building, for
example, could maintain that data in both granular and aggregate form.
When a tenant moves in, the facilities manager can create a new logical
entity for that tenant and map the physical circuit entries to the
tenant's logical entity.  This enables both real-time power usage and
management on an individual circuit basis (useful for troubleshooting
facilities problems) as well as on a customized aggregate basis (useful
for the bean counters who have to allocate costs).

Here's an interesting question as far as implementation is concerned ...
why not implement pmPhysicalMap and pmLogicalMap tables (like
entLPMappingTable) to map the pmIndex entity to the appropriate physical
or logical entity (1:1 only?)

Chris