Re: [eman] Entity identification method

Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu> Fri, 29 October 2010 01:47 UTC

From: Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:48:58 +0000
user-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/13.7.0.100913
x-originating-ip: [10.7.0.92]
Subject: Re: [eman] Entity identification method

Hi Christian,

Thank you for this interesting comment.

It looks like we have to distinguish two cases: power state monitoring and
energy consumption monitoring.

For a logical entity and a virtual machine it may be well possible to report
on their power state. However, reporting their energy consumption seems to
be a tough challenge at least if be base it on real measurements.

It is well feasible to measure energy consumption of physical entities, but
if you have a logical entity that consumes only partial resources of a
physical entity, then precise measurement of the energy consumption will be
hardly possible. Estimations may be possible based on a model of the logical
entity, but I don't know how good such models can be.

Thanks,

    Juergen