[EME] RE: finally!: draft-irtf-eme-francis-nutss-design-00.txt

Teemu Koponen <koponen@icsi.berkeley.edu> Wed, 09 May 2007 23:58 UTC

From: Teemu Koponen <koponen@icsi.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 16:58:20 -0700
To: eme <eme@irtf.org>
Subject: [EME] RE: finally!: draft-irtf-eme-francis-nutss-design-00.txt

On Apr 24, 2007, at 11:10, Paul Francis wrote:

Folks,

> The main feature of the NUTSS is the "dual signaling" approach,
> where both
> path-coupled and path-decoupled signaling are tightly coordinated
> in order to
> overcome the limitations of either mode alone.  Some form of dual-
> signaling
> seems necessary to me, but there might be many ways to manage it.
> This draft
> suggests one way...others might have better ideas.

Here's another idea, this time a clean-slate one. While reading the
draft, please

1) forget the data-orientation and concentrate to the policy aspects
(in other words, we can name services/apps/hosts instead of data, if
that's what apps desire),
2) replace an RH with P-box in your mind, and
3) do not let the different naming to distract you too much.

It strikes me that the similarities are very obvious:

(a) both do name based routing. NUTSS uses DNS, we do it with flat
identifiers.
(b) both have two kinds of paths between end-points. NUTSS talks
about off-path vs. on-path, we talk about slow-path and fast-path. In
both, the policies are mostly applied on the off/slow-path, i.e., it
is designed for *functionality*, not for speed like the off/fast-path
is.

It seems that these two ideas are the in the deep core of both
proposals. DONA is probably cleaner/simpler due to its clean-
slateness, while NUTSS favors incremental deployability instead, and
does that for a very good reason, of course.

Teemu