RE: [Emu] EMU PSK Method work Item

"Hao Zhou \(hzhou\)" <hzhou@cisco.com> Wed, 01 February 2006 16:02 UTC

Subject: RE: [Emu] EMU PSK Method work Item
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:01:51 -0500
From: "Hao Zhou (hzhou)" <hzhou@cisco.com>
To: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>, emu@ietf.org
Sender: emu-bounces@ietf.org

Joe:

I wonder whether we should look at the strong shared secret method
alone. It seems we might achieve this goal and the two other work group
items, TLS-based EAP method and existing password database support,
using a single EAP method, e.g., a TLS based EAP method supporting PSK.
This would save us the work of trying to define two or three EAP
methods. One thing might help us is to define what exactly is "strong
shared secret", "compact", and "simple" in a requirement or problem
statement. They might be expressed in turns of desired number of
exchanges, computing power, cipher suites limitations, etc. The security
requriements are already addressed by RFC 4017. I suggest we do the same
for the other two items. Then we can evaluate whether it is feasible to
achieve the three goals with a single EAP method and go from there.