RE: [Emu] EMU PSK Method work Item

"Bernard Aboba" <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Wed, 01 February 2006 17:55 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: hzhou@cisco.com, jsalowey@cisco.com, emu@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Emu] EMU PSK Method work Item
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:55:39 -0800
Sender: emu-bounces@ietf.org

It seems we might achieve this goal and the two other work group
>items, TLS-based EAP method and existing password database support,
>using a single EAP method, e.g., a TLS based EAP method supporting PSK.

One of the attractions of PSK is to implement it on an embedded device.  So
while it is possible to address the PSK work item using a TLS-derived
protocol, attempting to glom this onto the EAP-TLS specification is a bad
idea. Since EAP-TLS *requires* certificate support, adding PSK on to it
would effectively require embedded devices to include certificate support
just to support PSK, whether they needed to support certificates or not.
This would greatly increase the required footprint.

Of course, EMU WG could create a new protocol based on TLS that would
*require* PSK support and allow optional certificate support.  However, this
would not be EAP-TLS but something new.