[Emu] RE: Draft liaison response for IEEE 802.11u EAP method for emergency calls

"Bernard Aboba" <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Tue, 02 October 2007 20:03 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: jsalowey@cisco.com, emu@ietf.org
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:03:19 -0700
Cc: ecrit-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [Emu] RE: Draft liaison response for IEEE 802.11u EAP method for emergency calls

>[Joe] I agree, that if "No pre-configured trust relationship" refers to
>configuration of client on the server then we are in a better position.
>However it seems that in you discussion below that the peer does not
>typically have enough information to validate the server.

I think we need to distinguish between "validating the server" and
"validating the authenticator".  If the EAP peer has trust anchors, it can
validate the server.  The question is whether that should be sufficient to
allow the peer to connect to the authenticator or not.

It may matter whether the peer has a pre-existing profile.   For example, if
there is a profile corresponding to the "EXAMPLE" network, and the peer
successfully validates the "example.com" server, then the question is
whether the peer should apply the "EXAMPLE" profile based on validation of
the "example.com" server certificate.  If the "EXAMPLE" profile includes a
requirement for validation of a certificate from "example.com", then that
should be sufficient.

However, if there is no pre-existing profile then it is not clear to me what
security services can be required.  Should the peer be satisfied if the
server certificate chains to any trust anchor, regardless of the SSID?  If
the SSID in question represents a pre-existing profile requiring chaining to
a particular trust anchor, I'd say "no".  However, if the SSID is unknown
and there is an unknown SSID that advertises emergency services, then it is
probably better to try that (and maybe even go ahead if the server cert
fails validation) than to fail -- leaving the user without the ability to
make an emergency call in a life and death situation.