[Emu] Re: new authenticated encryption draft and a proposed use in EMU GPSK

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 24 August 2006 09:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:16:24 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: emu@ietf.org
Subject: [Emu] Re: new authenticated encryption draft and a proposed use in EMU GPSK

Hi David,

I have a problem with the suggested approach for a couple of reasons:

* There is no problem with the currently defined cipher suites. The
design team has just picked something; Different cipher suites got
proposed during the design team discussions and almost all of them got
removed from the document. As you saw from the discussions and my
previous mail to the EMU mailing list it seems that there is a shift
towards AES CBC. That's fine with me.

Whatever you propose there will be someone that does not like your
selection for whatever reason.

This is, btw, a very natural way to progressing document. You will not
get things right the first time.

* I don't like the split into two documents since it makes a simple
protocol complicated. For EAP-GPSK I don't think that we will see 10+
cipher suites being proposed.

* I don't see how the document is useful to other areas. The example
section points to IPsec ESP; this is confusing for someone that only
wants to implement a simple EAP method.

Recall that we started with the goal to produce a simple EAP method as a
replacement for EAP-MD5.

Your document is unfortunately years too late.

* Currently, we have the idea of putting 1 BIT!!!!! into the protected
payload part of the message (and that's not yet even there in the
document). Note, that it does not require encryption for this 1 bit.
There is currently nothing in the document that requires encryption.

We are wasting time on problems that do not exist.

* This document will help to delay the work on EAP-GPSK for a year
making it impossible to get EAP-GPSK deployed anytime in the near future.

* IANA consideration: If your document is applicable to other
environments then we might see plenty of cipher suites being specified.
That's fine but does not really help us a lot to realize a simple EAP
method. What cipher suites should folks implement? Should we then have
an additional document that says "These are the cipher suites applicable
for EAP GPSK? "

You are essentially asking us to rewrite the entire draft to make it fit
to your document just because you had the idea for a common registry?

Sorry for my lack of excitement.

Ciao
Hannes