RE: [Entmib] entity mib support for tcif

Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com> Thu, 02 October 2003 17:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:20:12 -0700
To: Kaj Tesink <kaj@research.telcordia.com>
From: Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [Entmib] entity mib support for tcif
Cc: entmib@ietf.org
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

At 02:33 PM 10/1/2003, Kaj Tesink wrote:
>folks, i consulted with some interested parties directly.
>my impression is that we could do the following:
>
>1) to support the Manufacture Date we'll need a new object
>   entPhysicalMfgDate that augments the entPhysicalTable
>
>2) a) to support the CLEI we have the option of using
>   entPhysicalVendorType with the elegant method pointed out by Dave;
>   the only drawback is that this use theoretically may clash with
>   other uses people may have had in mind.
>
>   b) alternatively, we can define a new entPhysicalVendorType2
>   and still apply Dvae's method.
>
>3) from a documentation perspective we have the following options:
>   a) fold into the existing document; this may jeopardize the entmib
>       going to Draft
>   b) create a supplemental entmib
>   c) create a supplemental entmib that will be folded into the
>      main document once the specs reach the same standainzation status

I prefer (3b).  There are lots of MIB modules that
import something from ENTITY-MIB (usually entPhysicalIndex)
and none of these RFCs can advance to DS until the
Entity MIB advances.  I think it will take a long
time to get the supplemental objects published,
and then it will take at least a year to get another
implementation report together.

>all options work for me although on reflection
>i have a slight pref for 2a) over 2b) based on distaste of object proliferation.
>
>any preferences out there?
>

>kaj

Andy