RE: [Enum] Status of draft-ietf-enum-msg

"Fullbrook Kim (UK)" <Kim.Fullbrook@O2.COM> Tue, 15 February 2005 17:46 UTC

From: "Fullbrook Kim (UK)" <Kim.Fullbrook@O2.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:46:46 -0500
To: 'Stastny Richard' <"enum at ietf.org">
Subject: RE: [Enum] Status of draft-ietf-enum-msg

Some comments on "draft-ietf-enum-msg" are below. For those that aren't interested in a long explanation here is the summary of the enumservices that I'd recommend are registered. Some have been deleted and some are updated compared to the previous draft.

name = "email", type = "email", sub-type = "mailto", generated URI scheme = "mailto:"
name = "sms", type = "sms", sub-type = "mailto", generated URI scheme = "mailto:"
name = "mms", type = "mms", sub-type = "web", generated URI scheme = "http:"
name = "mms", type = "mms", sub-type = "web", generated URI scheme = "https:"
name = "mms", type = "mms", sub-type = "mailto", generated URI scheme = "mailto:"

Justification / explanation in no particular order:

1) "Use of Tel URI" in fax, mms, sms and ems
I'm not convinced of the value of the Tel URI scheme in the Enum registration . I realise that a similar example is quoted for a "tel" enumservice in RFC 2916 and I feel the same comments apply. An interesting aside is that there does not appear to be an enumservice registration to correspond to the "tel" example - section 3.2.2 of RFC 2916.

Quoting RFC 3966 which describes Tel URI as follows: "tel URI .....does not refer to a specific physical device, only to a telephone number".  So the enum registration is saying that for a particular ENUM you can reach that number using a particular telephone number. It looks like a circular description that tells you nothing new. Remembering that the absence of a number from the ENUM system does not mean that the number can't be reached, there seems to be no value added here, unless redirection is involved, in which case a different question/concern is opened up.

If the value of the "tel" URI scheme is seen to be for redirection (i.e. I want all calls to +123-456-789 forwarded to tel:+123-456-222) the question then arises - when should we check for a existence of a Tel URI NAPTR record in order to see if there is redirection defined ? The rules on this are missing/unclear.

For example, if I want to make a SIP call to +123-456-789 am I meant to check first for a Tel URI NAPTR record to see if there is redirection to a different number ? This isn't covered in any of the SIP RFCs. If I'm not meant to, what value does it have ?  Back to the question "what is the value of the tel URI scheme ?". I've left it out of my list above. Can anyone clarify the intention and implementation here ?

2) Registration of EMS
----------------------</FO

EMS is "Enhanced Message Service". Until I read this document I'd never even heard of EMS. Although it was specified by 3GPP in reference [16] I'm not aware of any deployments in the GSM cellular world, indeed it's not even been mentioned. Its role was taken over by MMS which is the current standard for multimedia messaging and is widely deployed in GSM and other cellular systems. Possibly there is an EMS deployment in one of the non-GSM cellular systems but I think it's unlikely. Perhaps other members could comment here. EMS is a nice acronym and there is the possibility that it might be re-used in future for something completely different. I'd suggest that EMS is not registered as described here because there is no need for it. It can be added later if required.

3) MMS enumservice types
------------------------
First a bit of background. 3GPP document 23.140 describes the various interfaces to the MMS relay/server, labelled as MM1 to MM8. Only some of these have been defined. The interfaces and their protocols are as follows:

MM1 - "user terminal <> MMS server - wap
MM3 - "Legacy Messaging <> MMS server" - examples are : http, smtp  (exact protocol not mandated)
MM4  - "MMS server <> MMS server" - smtp
MM7 - "VAS Applications <> MMS Server" - SOAP over http

In theory any of these could use ENUM for routing purposes although in practice only the MM4 interface is available outside a given network. This might change in future and messages may need to be routed via any of the above interfaces.  Which of these need ENUMservices defined ?

The MM1 interface is normally a fixed relationship. I can't see a need for ENUM here.
MM3 - I'd expect this to be a fixed relationship but there's a small chance in future there might be the need to route MMS's based on E164 number

MM4 - Routing based on E164 number is definitely required here. Today this is the primary interface between operators.
MM7 - As for MM3 above.

Summarising, we have three interfaces to MMS which will (or could potentially) require an external ENUM interface: MM4 requires smtp, MM7 requires http (and https presumably as well) and MM3 is less fussy with either smtp or http being possible.

My suggested enumservice type / subtype / URI scheme would be as follows:
mms / web / http
mms / web / https
mms / mailto / mailto

Comments & clarifications welcome.