Re: [Enum] Sufficient information in NAPTRs, MSG, and VOVI

lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Sun, 06 March 2005 23:06 UTC

From: lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:06:28 -0500
To: Richard Shockey <"richard at shockey.us">
Subject: Re: [Enum] Sufficient information in NAPTRs, MSG, and VOVI

Hi Richard, folks,
Re. application:network identifier vs network identifier:application:
I note that this issue wasn't raised before or during the WGLC or IETF
LC for MSG,
which includes a registration for 'tel:fax'. Are we really running out
of reasons
to block/re-assess the MSG draft?

----
Re. do I remember VOVI? - it's indelibly burnt into my brain.
(BTW, I threw this in this originally only so that the Helpdesk crowd
will know who
 to thank for their full lives - not me :).

SIP was airbrushed out of VOVI-01 way back in 2003 as a reaction to The
SIP Community
who saw a problem with it. When we next had a chance to talk with Orit
(who couldn't
be heard in the original meeting for the enthusiasm of The Community :)
we removed
h323 from the mix as well, in -02 which came out last year after the
Seoul meeting.
Since then VOVI dealt exclusively with voice and video services using
E.164 network
identifiers. The only reference to SIP or H323 is to indicate that a
call to a PLMN
(or PSTN) device may be made indirectly (via a SIP or H323 to PSTN
gateway).

VOVI-02 has some minor cut-and-paste typos and a reference to RFC2806
so it needed
a refresh but, as there is an objection, I guess we just let it expire
in the IETF.
It's in use already so isn't worth the grief.

----
The esteemed co-chair has spoken - I'm not sure in what Language, but I
get the tone.

all the best,
  Lawrence