Re: [Enum] RE: Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide-00

lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Tue, 28 February 2006 23:41 UTC

From: lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Enum] RE: Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide-00
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:41:44 +0000
To: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
Cc: enum@ietf.org, "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com>, "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <ppfautz@att.com>

Hi Richard, Penn, folks,
  Like he said. Sub-types are good.
Even with SIP, the type is typically the kind of thing you do (all
that wonderful negotiation, rendezvous, and stuff), whilst SIP is
also the protocol you use to carry the exchanges to do it. In that
particular case, the two are and always will be synonymous.
For pretty much everything else, that you can't always be so sure.

As we should not "look right" (to the RegExpfield) in the NAPTR, the
sub-type is a good place to indicate the protocol used.
RFC 4355 is a good example, as MMS is the thing to do, whilst this
can be done via mailto: or tel:. Likewise for Web, via http: or https:.
Personally, I would *always* like a sub-type holding the protocol,
even if it is a duplicate. It also makes parsing the Services field
easier :)

----
Re. Non-Terminals (again).
This was discussed on this list last year. Indeed, IIRC, Penn raised it.
The conclusion then was that it is not possible with RFC 3761 to do this
- it isn't just the sub-type that's the problem, it's the whole thing.
This is already mentioned in the Experiences draft.

To recap the situation:
Any Enumservice registration MUST specify the "something" it does,
as well as the protocol it uses to do it; That's tied (in ENUM) to
the 'u' flag, indicating that the result is a URI.
A Non-terminal does not generate a URI to do something, it holds a
domain name in which to search. Thus the 'u' flag (and an Enumservice
registration) is inappropriate.

At present, ENUM only specifies the 'u' flag or no flag (an empty
flags field). It states that this lack of a flag means that this NAPTR
is non-terminal (and by implication, uses the replacement field to hold
the domain name). Note that other DDDS applications make this
assumption,
so we can't just re-interpret an empty flags field without causing a
potential collision with searches being carried out with other DDDS
applications (not to mention confusing the poor developers further :).

New idea, new work - If we want to do something else in ENUM, then (as
I said last time this came up):
(i) we need to add a new flag, specifying that this flag is non-
terminal,
and whether it uses the replacement field or the regexp field to hold or
generate its domain name (i.e. the key to be used in the next query on
the only rule store defined for use with ENUM -> DNS).
(ii) We need to define a new "Non-terminal Enumservice" registration
process that is tied to that flag (in the same way that there is now
the current Enumservice registration process tied to the 'u' flag).
(iii) IF this new flag indicates that the RegExp field is to be used to
construct a domain name, then we will need to specify quite how it is
used.

This can be done, it could even be a neat idea, but it is not trivial.
I suspect that (iii) will take some effort to define in enough detail to
be usable/possible to implement securely. It will be fun. Perhaps we
can discuss this at the upcoming "high bandwidth exchange" in Dallas?

However, any such new work has nothing at all to do with the existing
(terminal, tied to the 'u' flag) Enumservice registration process as
specified in RFC 3761. Gaining consistency in THAT process is what the
template draft is trying to clear up, and does well, IMHO.
----

all the best,
   Lawrence