Re: [Enum] New Draft: Trunk Group Use in ENUM

Don Troshynski <DTroshynski@acmepacket.com> Thu, 05 March 2009 14:54 UTC

From: Don Troshynski <DTroshynski@acmepacket.com>
To: 'Daryl Malas' <d.malas@cablelabs.com>, 'Tom Creighton' <Tom_Creighton@cable.comcast.com>, Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>, Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:53:58 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: IETF ENUM list <enum@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Enum] New Draft: Trunk Group Use in ENUM

I believe the point of the draft is that it defines the usage of Trunk Groups within SIP URIs without a unique service type.  Therefore no additional ENUM service is defined and the draft falls outside of the service registration process.  By comparing this method to a non-registered service type of e2u+trunk, it creates some confusion.  So, registration of the service type or removal of the reference might also be appropriate.

I think the draft is should be fast tracked as there is a need to document the use of trunk groups within ENUM.

One other more specific comment is that the document should define the treatment of the Trunk Group parameters within the ENUM client.  The options are:

a. Override the URI host and route based on embedded trunk group.
b. Route based on the URI host and forward the trunk group parameters downstream for further processing.
c. Define either behavior as acceptable or a matter of local policy.

Don