[Enum] Review of draft-yu-enumservice-sms-smpp

Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer@enum.at> Wed, 23 April 2008 15:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:40:17 +0200
From: Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer@enum.at>
To: james.yu@neustar.biz, enum@ietf.org
Subject: [Enum] Review of draft-yu-enumservice-sms-smpp
Sender: enum-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Yu,

i spent some time on reviewing your sms:smpp draft - i have a couple of
comments (i probably missed some details, but given the early stage of
the draft, i guess we'll go through more reviewing anyway..)

I like the idea, i understand that it makes sense. However, i don't
think this is neccessarily limited to private use... For example, we're
running our own SMPP server for the number range +4359966, and i don't
see why i wouldn't publish a corresponding ENUM record even in User ENUM
... (we're limiting access on the SMPP layer, of course).

There are some minor things, but also some major content issues, i've
listed them in the order i noticed them...

- Title: I'd recommend moving the "RFC 4355" part to the block on top of
the draft, so that it says "Updates: RFC 4355 (if approved)". I'd also
change the title into "IANA registration of the 'smpp' URI scheme and
the 'smpp' subtype for the 'sms' Enumservice" (or the other way round,
mentioning the Enumservice first)

- The draft does not have proper page breaks.

- Maybe you could merge "Conventions" and "Abbreviations" into a
"Terminology" section, and put it in front of the Introdcution, which
would save you expanding all the terms in the intro.

- There should be an informative reference to X.25

- The ABNF reference is outdated in the text (2234), but ok in the
references (RFC 5234)

- Section 5 ("use of..") is not just about the URI scheme, also about
the Enumservice. Maybe just rename that to "Use Cases" or "Use Case
Examples". Disclaimer: I didn't go thorugh the use cases themselves
because i'm not that deep into SMS delivery :-)

- I'm missing a description of the dereference process of an "smpp" URI.
For example: What is the exact process of determining the final (IP
level) destination (and port) from an "hostpart":

   - Does it make use of NAPTR lookups, or SRV lookups?
   - What is the default port, if not defined?
   - How can one specify a port? in the "hostpart"?

The "hostpart" that you say is "imported from RFC 3261" is not specified
in 3261... it occurs once in the text, but is never specified...

In addition, the "telephone-subscriber" that you import into the "user"
part already allows parameters (namely, all "tel" URI parameters, so you
do essentially allow _two_ sets of parameters, like

smpp:+4359966;cic=+1-6789;npdi@smpp.example.com;parameterXY=bla

Does that make sense, and is this intended? If it is intended, what are
the semantics of the "user" parameters... I'm unsure whether this is
actually allowed by the URI ABNF itself...

- Would it be possible to make note of the "Application Class" subtype
in the Enumservice Registration itself? i think it would be a "Common
Application" Enumservice as in 4.2.4 of the Enumservice guide draft..

- The column (":") is not part of the URI scheme name. Please remove it
from the URI scheme part of the registration template.

- I'm not happy with the last sentence of the "security considerations"
section of the Enumservice template (limiting access to the DNS). I
think that might also trigger a lot of headwind from the DNS guys. It's
actually an implementation veriant in certain scenarios, but i don't see
why that would need to be included in the registration template.

- The URI scheme needs improvement. As mentioned above, i can't find the
"hostpart" definition, the "telephone-subscriber" import adds parameter
space with unclear semantics, and i'm missing clear dereferencing
instructions.

- If you define parameters for the SMPP URI, you will probably need to
define a registry for them (remember what happened to the tel: URI -
they needed to add a registry in a seperate document
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-tel-reg-05.txt)

status.

hope that helps!

cheers