Re: [Enum] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-enum-calendar-service (A Telephone Number Mapping (ENUM) Service Registration for Internet Calendaring Services) to Proposed Standard

lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Thu, 23 August 2007 17:06 UTC

From: lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Enum] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-enum-calendar-service (A Telephone Number Mapping (ENUM) Service Registration for Internet Calendaring Services) to Proposed Standard
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:06:03 +0100
To: Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer@enum.at>
Cc: enum@ietf.org, Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>

Hi Alex, folks,
   I wholeheartedly agree.
This change helps, and avoids a potential problem.
The reason for this change is well explained.
Knowing in advance whether or not there was a bullet in the chamber
would be good :). iMIP Yes, CalDAV No.

---
One related point -
Q:  Should this rationale (with or without the wonderful "russian
     ENUM roulette, anybody?" comment) be added to the existing text
     for the Enumservice framework document?

IMHO, it is A Good Idea to highlight that RFC3761 doesn't let a client
readily go back and re-evaluate the remaining RRSet. I think it would
help people trying to fathom out which option fits their requirements,
as it is not always obvious WHY a specific sub-type is used rather than
letting the client sort it out through negotiation within the protocol.
On brief re-scan, the framework doesn't quite say that yet. Maybe this
could be added to the subset sub-section (3.2.3 bullet 2) of the frame-
work draft?

all the best,
   Lawrence