Re: [ESDS] Interaction models for Discovery Services

Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net> Thu, 10 July 2008 14:02 UTC

From: Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net>
To: "Kenneth R. Traub" <kt@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:02:15 +0100
Cc: "\"'Kary Främling'\"" <Kary.Framling@hut.fi>, esds@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ESDS] Interaction models for Discovery Services
Sender: esds-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Ken, ESDS folks,

Ken - thanks for the clarifications regarding identifiers.

Yes, I had intended to say 'a URI or specifically an EPC URI string'
since URI includes both URNs and URLs.
In practice, all currently defined EPC identifier schemes have URI
representations (in fact URNs) - although it is conceivable that a URL
could be used as the identifier (although a URN, Digital Object
Identifier (DOI) or Handle might be less 'fragile' or more likely to
be maintained for long-term resolution).

URIs and structured identifiers have the benefit of making it easy to
express patterns or ranges of related identifiers (e.g. for objects of
the same product type or issued by the same organization), since
related URIs often share a common prefix or stem.  The EPCglobal Tag
Data Standard defines URI patterns for EPC identifiers in which
wildcard characters  (*) or [lo-hi] ranges indicate which absolute
URIs should match the specified pattern.

[ Not sure whether this is based on an established convention for URI
patterns (Ken would know this) - but either the same approach could be
adopted for non-EPC URI patterns - or regular expressions could be
used (although it might be trickier to express a multi-digit numeric
range using a regular expression - see for example http://www.regular-expressions.info/numericranges.html
  )]

The XSD schema files for the Application Level Events (ALE) and EPC
Information Services (EPCIS) standards developed by the EPCglobal
community do not in fact constrain an EPC to be anything other than a
URI - so it seems quite likely that a future EPCglobal standard for
Discovery Services would take a similar approach of 'any URI' for EPCs
or individual IDs.

Using structured identifiers and in particular URIs and URI patterns
could have advantages in the operations of a Discovery Service, since
URI patterns could be used as a convenient shorthand for registering
or querying about multiple IDs that have a common URI prefix and a
contiguous range of serial numbers.  They could also be helpful for
any high-level indices that might be used for expressing the scope or
identifier types / ranges handled by a particular DS.

Regarding ensuring global uniqueness, as Ken pointed out in his
earlier e-mail, it is possible to prepend a non-URI string with a URI
prefix in order to qualify its namespace and thereby construct a
globally unique URI identifier from a combination of one or more
locally unique identifier strings.

Best regards,

- Mark