[ESDS] Interaction models for Discovery Services

Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net> Tue, 08 July 2008 10:10 UTC

From: Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net>
To: esds@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:09:57 +0100
Subject: [ESDS] Interaction models for Discovery Services
Sender: esds-bounces@ietf.org

Dear ESDS colleagues,

Following on from the previous discussions on this mailing list about
the interaction between Discovery Services and 'Consolidated
Information Brokers', I have attached a couple of Powerpoint
presentations, which I presented 3 weeks ago at a face-to-face meeting
of the EPCglobal Data Discovery Joint Requirements Group.

The presentation on the interaction models considers the possible
sequences of message flows between a query client, an information
resource and a Discovery Service, considering suitability of each
model for one-off queries as well as standing queries, together with
an analysis of their relative merits in terms of protecting the
confidentiality of information resources, confidentiality of clients'
queries, as well as considering the kinds of data to be stored in a
DS, performance and latency issues and impact on the network traffic
and possible security threats.

The slides are intended to provide an easy-to-read animated summary of
the analysis contained in section B of  the document D2.4 from the
BRIDGE project (High-level design document).

	http://www.bridge-project.eu/data/File/BRIDGE%20WP02%20High%20level%20design%20Discovery%20Services.pdf

I would also like to acknowledge that the original BRIDGE document
D2.4 section B was jointly authored by Trevor Burbridge (BT), Oliver
Kasten (SAP), Cosmin Condea (SAP) and Mark Harrison (University of
Cambridge, Auto-ID Lab), with additional inputs from Nicholas Pauvre
(GS1 France) and members of AT4 wireless (who led BRIDGE WP2).

I have also attached an Excel spreadsheet which indicates some of the
advantages and disadvantages from the perspectives of the client,
resource, DS and network traffic, together with some possible
countermeasures.  Feel free to modify the spreadsheet - though I
suggest that you highlight any changed cells (e.g. set background
colour of cell to yellow) so it is clear to everyone which changes you
have made.

I really hope that these presentations and the spreadsheet will
stimulate some lively discussion on this mailing list and I look
forward to reading your comments about the different interaction
models for Discovery Services.

Best regards,

- Mark Harrison