FDDI mib comments

dsiinc!rem@uunet.uu.net Fri, 22 January 1993 01:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1993 19:52:22 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: dsiinc!rem@uunet.uu.net
Subject: FDDI mib comments
To: uunet!utkvx.utk.edu!cs.utk.edu!fddi-mib@uunet.uu.net

I'm having trouble remembering all the changes we made to the
FDDI mib at the last IETF meeting and I want to make sure I
understand everything correctly.

[By the way, I've needed 16 different conversion routines to
translate between the SMT and SNMP variable encodings.]

According to the published meeting notes:
>        Minutes of the FDDI MIB Working Group  November 19, 1992
>  FddiTime
>    The group agreed to express FddiTime as a positive integer in 1 nanosecond
>    units.  The editor was directed to include a complete, appropriate,
>    example to eliminate the confusion surrounding two's complement.

This means we can represent values up to 2,147,483,648 nanoseconds.
While this should be sufficient for all the TimerTwosComplement
variables, it is definitely not sufficient to hold
SMTTraceMAXExpiration (which, by default, is 7 seconds).

As this particular variable really doesn't require nanosecond
precision, I recommend we convert it to 1 ms units, just like the
timestamps.

>  Timestamp
>    The group agreed to rescale Timestamp to express it in 1 millisecond units.

I'm assuming from this that these will become simple Counters or
INTEGERs so we drop the 8-byte OCTET STRING encoding.

I can't remember the what we decided to do with the optional
variable "Setcount".  I can't remember if we agreed to remove
it or not, but I am now very sure that I want it removed.
After many attempts, I can't figure out how this provides any
locking or consistency control at all.

In SMT, the Setcount is tightly coupled with every MIB access.
If implemented, it is required to change any time an attribute
is changed through a PMF frame or a local management process.

However, in SNMP, there is no way to guarantee this consistency.
First, suppose Setcount is not implemented in your particular SMT.
This means that the SNMP agent (or proxy) must maintain this
locally.  For an SNMP proxy, there is no way to guarantee that the
SMT MIB (and hence the SNMP MIB as well) doesn't change through an
SMT interface.  There is no mechanism for SMT to inform SNMP that
a MIB change has occurred.

In the second case, assume Setcount is implemented in SMT.
In this case, the SNMP agent must read Setcount before it attempts
to change a variable.  However, in the time between the SNMP agent
reads Setcount and the time it actually performs the Set, an SMT
frame could come in and change the variable.

Therefore, I don't believe that any SNMP SetCount would be
tightly enough coupled with SMT to provide any reliable
locking mechanism.  In my opinion, an unreliable lock is
worse than no lock at all.

Next, it is not clear to me how to encode PORTRequestedPaths.
In the current FDDI mib document, this is specified as an
INTEGER [0..255].  However, this is incorrect.  PORTRequestedPaths
is actually 3 separate integers, each [0..255].  I recommend
representing this as a 3-byte OCTET STRING, with the first byte
corresponding to 'none', the second byte corresponding to 'tree'
and the last byte corresponding to 'peer.'

Last, there were no responses to my last message, which asked
about ghost resources.  I'll include the message again, in
hopes that someone will respond with their views about ghost
resources.

[Hello, is anyone out there?]

[From my last message:]
> [...]
>
>A clean and simple solution to this problem is to create separate
>tables for the "mandatory, if present" variables.  Thus, if the resource
>is not physically present, the entire table does not exist.  This seems
>to be consistent with SNMP's constraints.
>
>This would require creating two new tables:
>
>          -- groups in the FDDI MIB module
>
>          snmpFddiSMT           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { thisDraft 1 }
>          snmpFddiMAC           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { thisDraft 2 }
> *NEW*    snmpFddiMACPresent    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { thisDraft 3 }
>          snmpFddiMACCounters   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { thisDraft 4 }
>          snmpFddiPATH          OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { thisDraft 5 }
>          snmpFddiPORT          OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { thisDraft 6 }
> *NEW*    snmpFddiPORTPresent   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { thisDraft 7 }
>
>The new groups would be indexed just like the existing MAC
>and PORT groups.  The MACCounters table for a specific MAC
>would exist iff the hardware is physically present.
>
>The existing MAC and PORT variables can then be partitioned
>into the two new groups:
>
>snmpFddiMAC group would contain:
>	  snmpFddiMACSMTIndex
>	  snmpFddiMACIndex
>	  snmpFddiMACRequestedPaths
>	  snmpFddiMACFrameErrorThreshold
>	  snmpFddiMACHardwarePresent
>	  snmpFddiMACMAUnitdataEnable
>
>snmpFddiMACPresent group would contain:
>	  snmpFddiMACFrameStatusFunction
>	  snmpFddiMACTMaxCapability
>	  snmpFddiMACTVXCapability
>	  snmpFddiMACAvailablePaths
>	  snmpFddiMACCurrentPath
>	  snmpFddiMACUpstreamNbr
>	  snmpFddiMACDownstreamNbr
>	  snmpFddiMACOldUpstreamNbr
>	  snmpFddiMACOldDownstreamNbr
>	  snmpFddiMACDupAddrTest
>	  snmpFddiMACDownstreamPORTType
>	  snmpFddiMACSMTAddress
>	  snmpFddiMACTReq
>	  snmpFddiMACTNeg
>	  snmpFddiMACTMax
>	  snmpFddiMACTvxValue
>	  snmpFddiMACFrameCts
>	  snmpFddiMACCopiedCts
>	  snmpFddiMACTransmitCts
>	  snmpFddiMACErrorCts
>	  snmpFddiMACLostCts
>	  snmpFddiMACFrameErrorRatio
>	  snmpFddiMACRMTState
>	  snmpFddiMACDaFlag
>	  snmpFddiMACUnaDaFlag
>	  snmpFddiMACFrameCondition
>	  snmpFddiMACMAUnitdataAvailable
>	  snmpFddiMACChipSet
>
>snmpFddiPORT group would contain:
>	  snmpFddiPORTSMTIndex
>	  snmpFddiPORTIndex
>	  snmpFddiPORTMyType
>	  snmpFddiPORTConnectionPolicies
>	  snmpFddiPORTRequestedPaths
>	  snmpFddiPORTLerCutoff
>	  snmpFddiPORTLerAlarm
>	  snmpFddiPORTHardwarePresent
>	  snmpFddiPORTAction (Why is this mandatory in SMT?  How can
>			      you send an action to a port that is not
>			      physically present?)
>
>snmpFddiPORTPresent group would contain:

Ron Mackey			Distributed Systems International, Inc.
rem@dsiinc.com			531 W. Roosevelt Road, Suite 2
708-665-4639			Wheaton, IL 60187-5057