Re: [FECFRAME-PROTO] SDP params for FEC

"Greg Shepherd" <gjshep@gmail.com> Wed, 26 September 2007 16:37 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=vgLQHlSmk0SrS5JWmJLwQXBbXBgKz48r4vEKE+bCnaA=; b=tGVJtUoJL7l6EzIPjhdcDshIenIqpWUKaB4AybwZmAfERieb7ODCbldzg6ue5s690n4ZVga2FyKvJ+5NI8zrWbbZafFdu7Wdq4L/WEZ/Ad0QoAEgoovfSc0bDYMFBNFtJBsSmsEyYPl3TKTDZJZMX45CmDyKA5XPadWF01XYiig=
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:37:23 -0700
From: Greg Shepherd <gjshep@gmail.com>
To: "Ali Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [FECFRAME-PROTO] SDP params for FEC
Cc: fecframe-proto@ietf.org

On 9/22/07, Ali Begen (abegen) <abegen@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Regarding the SDP signaling for FEC, I have something missing in my
> notes. As far as I remember, we mainly discussed the offer/answer model
> for our framework. That is, we said that the sender could offer multiple
> (nested or not) FEC flows (each probably with different levels of
> protection, latency budgets, priority, etc) from which the receiver(s)
> can select and join the corresponding multicast group to receive the
> repair packets.
>
> However, this offer/answer model does not let the receiver ask for a
> particular FEC scheme from the sender. Does it? This can be particularly
> useful in unicast applications (or even in multicast when there is a
> middle box that manages the sender on behalf of the receivers),

...or just the FEC stream on behalf of the sender.

> where
> the receiver should be able to ask from the sender whatever FEC it wants
> to receive or the receiver can let the sender know how much buffering it
> can tolerate. Remember the min_buffer_time attribute? The receiver
> should also be able to set this ...

For the above condition in which the FEC stream is not coming from the
same source as the source data, the initial SDP file should specify
the FEC request address for just such a handshake IF this is an
available option. From there the interaction is in the protocol.

> Can we do this by using the same FEC Framework Configuration Information
> and FEC-Scheme-Specific Information that we use for the offer/answer
> model? What is the best way to execute this "on-demand" model?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I lack the clarity of any notes
from the meeting. :(

Greg