Re: [Fecframe] IETF 67

"Greg Shepherd" <gjshep@gmail.com> Mon, 25 September 2006 17:47 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:47:19 -0700
From: Greg Shepherd <gjshep@gmail.com>
To: Mark Watson <mark@digitalfountain.com>
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] IETF 67
Cc: fecframe@ietf.org

On 9/12/06, Mark Watson <mark@digitalfountain.com> wrote:
> Hi Wesley,
>
> Good point. This kind of consideration would be a good addition to the
> draft.
>
> The RMT FEC Building Block does indeed provide a lot of what we need.
> The main differences are in places where the FEC BB makes assumptions
> related to the delivered data being a single 'object' rather than a
> collection of streams/packet flows.
>
> Streams/packet flows have some additional properties - such as somewhat
> different needs for timely delivery, the fact that packet sizes for
> source packets are a property of the stream, not something that the FEC
> mechanism can determine as with object delivery and the requirement to
> protect multiple streams together.
>
> Now, one approach would be to define a way to map a collection of
> streams/packet flows into an 'object' of the kind addressed in the FEC
> BB and then concatenate this mapping with what we already have in the
> FEC BB.
>
> This might be a little contrived though, so I think what we are aiming
> at is essentially a 'stream/packet flow' version of the FEC BB - reusing
> as much as possible of course.
>
> As with the FEC BB, there is an open question about exactly what
> functionality to specify in the BB and what to delegate to FEC Schemes.
> Delegation has the advantage of generality, whereas specification at the
> FEC BB has the advantage of introducing greater commonality between
> different instantiations of the whole system.

So which direction do we take? Should this be an agenda item for the
upcoming meeting? To stay on track we should have the framework draft
ready for submission after IETF 67 so getting the discussion going now
is best.

I agree that stuffing streaming functions into an object to make it
fit FEC BB is a bit contrived, but can it be done? What functionality
would be compromised? Would this prevent extensibiliy in streaming
functions over having an independent (though inheriting) FECFrame
spec?

Greg