RE: [Fecframe] IETF 67

"Mark Watson" <mark@digitalfountain.com> Mon, 09 October 2006 21:10 UTC

Subject: RE: [Fecframe] IETF 67
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 14:09:43 -0700
From: Mark Watson <mark@digitalfountain.com>
To: Greg Shepherd <gjshep@gmail.com>
Cc: fecframe@ietf.org

Hi Greg,

The main advantage that could be expected from fitting streaming into
the RMT FEC BB would be that FEC Schemes already defined by RMT could be
reused for streaming without modification.

However, I'm not sure that would actually work, for the following
reasons:

Firstly, the FEC Schemes defined in RMT envisage objects with a finite
size. So, to map streaming to this we would need to consider a stream as
a sequence of FEC BB-style objects. We would then need to communicate
the FEC Object Transmission Information for each object with that
object. This could be done, but the problem is that for many FEC Schemes
there would be advantages if certain pieces of FEC Object Transmission
Information could be the same for every block (for example it makes
sense in some cases for the Symbol Size and Block Size to be the same
for every block). It's advantageous to be able to inform the receiver
that these parameters won't change and also more efficient to signal
them once, out-of-band, than with every block.

Without streaming-specific additions to the FEC Scheme you could not
specify how this "stream-level" FEC OTI was communicated to the
receiver. So, you would not achieve the original aim of re-using the FEC
Schemes without modification anyway.

Secondly, FEC Schemes in RMT generally also include recommendations for
parameter settings, which are based on single-object delivery. Although
not essential it would be a good thing for people to provide
recommendations for streaming cases too - which may be different for a
variety of reasons.

Given that we need streaming-specific modifications to FEC Schemes
anyway, it seems better to me to do this cleanly. This does not mean
that we lose the work done in RMT, but that we recognize that re-use of
an RMT FEC Scheme for FECFRAME doesn't come for free - it requires a
little work.

A third reason is the question of how streaming source data is formatted
into data blocks that an 'object-based' FEC Scheme could process. RMT
FEC Schemes expect an object which is just a sequence of bytes. For
streaming we need to build such an object out of a sequence of
potentially variable-length source packets. We then have the problem
that we don't just send the symbols generated by the FEC Scheme, but we
may wish to send the original source packets themselves. The mapping
between the source block that the RMT FEC Scheme understands and the
Source Packets themselves may again be something where specification
material which is both FEC-Scheme-specific and Streaming-specific is
needed. This was a topic of discussion at the last meeting: The 3GPP FEC
streaming framework makes this issue FEC-Scheme-independent (if that can
be claimed of a spec which includes only one FEC Scheme!), whereas I had
proposed last time we allow also for FEC-Scheme-specific approaches. We
did not conclude on this, but I would propose that we allow FEC Schemes
to specify their own approach (and of course, the Raptor FEC Scheme will
use the 3GPP one to align with 3GPP's use of Raptor).

Regards,

Mark Watson